Nada's Monthly Reads

Nada's Monthly Reads

November 2021

Welcome to our November issue of Nada’s Monthly Reads! Each month we collect some words that spoke to us, inspired us, and taught us something new about food systems, climate action, and the ins and outs of living a package-free lifestyle. So sit back, relax and cozy up with your pumpkin spice latte to learn about what’s new in the package-free world.

Women of Influence with Nada CEO + Co-founder, Brianne Miller

Our wonderful CEO + Co-founder, Brianne Miller, was recently featured in an article on Women of Influence. This in-depth interview sides into Brianne’s zero-waste journey, how Nada came to be, her mission to make package-free shopping more accessible and what she thinks is the most effective action individuals can do to reduce their carbon footprint.

Scroll through Brianne’s responses to hear more about her surprisingly simple and often overlooked tips to help individuals get started on their own zero-waste journey.

 

READ MORE



Fridge Organization - How to Optimize Fridges to Reduce Food Waste (and Why it Matters)

The amount of food wasted in North America is huge - but beyond the social implications of the "haves" and the "have nots," food waste is having a significant impact on climate change. Here's a comprehensive guide created by Eco Home Magazine to help you organize your fridge at home.

READ MORE

 

Zero Waste Agenda for BC

Though our province is ahead of most North American jurisdictions when it comes to recycling and composting programs and regulations, there is still a lot of room for work to be done. This study by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, looks at the proactive solutions to reduce the volume of materials that flow through our supply chains, and therefore our carbon emissions and footprints.

“The time has come to move beyond conventional recycling and get serious about well designed material conservation and management policies that can simultaneously support local economic development and social justice goals.”

The Zero Waste Agenda proposes an approach to achieve the status of zero-waste by 2040, with a focus on redesign, innovation, shifting culture and more.

 

READ MORE

 

New Study Lays Out Opportunities to Slash Land-Based GHG Emissions from Forests, Farming and Consumer Behaviour

A new study led by Climate Focus, published in Global Change Biology analyzed 20 land-based measures that reduced greenhouse gas emissions or removed greenhouse gases from the atmosphere. Their findings? A comprehensive guide to greenhouse gas mitigation potential and feasibility of land-based climate solutions for over 200 countries!

 

 

READ MORE

Thanks for reading! Subscribe to our newsletter to be the first to hear about the next Nada’s Monthly Reads issue.

 

October 2021

Welcome to the first issue of Nada’s Monthly Reads! Each month we’ll be collecting some words that spoke to us, inspired us, and taught us something new about food systems, climate action, and the ins and outs of living a package-free lifestyle.

 

Times

Reusable Packaging Is the Latest Eco-Friendly Trend. But Does It Actually Make a Difference?

Did you know that only 9% of the plastic recycled globally in 2017 actually ended up getting properly recycled? Or that the other 91% of plastics end up unaccounted for; in our oceans, beaches, and landfills?

An article in Time dives into society’s broken system for dealing with waste, and how the implementation of a proper circular economy, the introduction of reliable, durable, reusable packaging, and sustainable production can be the solution to our problem.

 

READ MORE

 

Science

“Global Food System Emissions Could Preclude Achieving the 1.5° and 2°C Climate Change Target”

It all comes down to our food. Where it comes from, how it’s made, how it’s packaged, and where we, as consumers, buy it. The Paris Agreement’s goal of limiting the increase in global temperature to 1.5° or 2°C above preindustrial levels requires rapid reductions in greenhouse gas emissions Meeting the 1.5°C target requires rapid and ambitious changes to food systems as well as to all nonfood sectors. The 2°C target could be achieved with less-ambitious changes to food systems, but only if fossil fuel and other nonfood emissions are eliminated soon.

READ MORE

 

Civil Eats

“Can Aquaculture Help Women Secure a New Foothold in the Seafood Industry?”

Women play a crucial role in aquaculture, yet their efforts, ideas, and contributions often get overlooked and undervalued. An article by Kate Olson in Civil Eats dives into the gender biases and inequalities that are prevalent within the global seafood supply chain, and the difficulties that are often encountered within these male-dominated settings.

READ MORE

Thanks for reading! Make sure to subscribe to our newsletter to be the first to hear about the next issue of Nada’s Monthly Reads.